Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious mix of flavors
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat feta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 4 to 6 ounces each
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- Heat 1 teaspoon water in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the diced apple until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked apple, cranberries, shallots, feta and a splash of the chicken stock and set aside.
- Cut a deep horizontal pocket in the side of each chicken breast. Make the pocket as large as you can without piercing the top or bottom of the breast. Place 1/4 of the apple mixture in the pocket of each chicken breast. Secure the pocket with toothpicks threading along the side to close.
- Heat the remaing 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a heavy oven-proof skillet until it begins to smoke. Cook each side of the chicken until golden brown.
- Add the vinegar and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer the chicken for 2 or 3 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and keep warm. Continue to cook the sauce until it is reduced to a thick syrup.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over each chicken breast to serve.
Wow, this was delicious. My husband took one bite and gave me a high five! I had to change it a bit because I was limited to what I had on hand, I only had chicken breast fillets, so I did not stuff the chicken, just topped it with the apple/cranberry/feta/ onion mix. I used green onions instead of shallots, and apple-cider vinegar plus 2-3 tablespoons of sugar because I did not have balsamic vinegar, but even with the modifications it was fantastic. I have added it to my favorite recipe box, and plan on making it again, hopefully next time for company!