Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A favorite breakfast. I serve the pancakes with my mom's homemade applesauce. So yummy.
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled chopped apple
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups applesauce, warmed (I use homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make cinnamon sugar: In a small bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and ground cinnamon; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cottage cheese, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla; stir to blend.
- Add in the apple, flour, sugar, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter just until blended.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle.
- Brush skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto skillet.
- Lower heat to medium-low.
- Cook until the tops are covered with small bubbles.
- Turn and lightly brown the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Sprinkle warm pancakes with cinnamon sugar and serve with warmed apple sauce.