Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin generously with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, blend well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg and butter.
- Add the apple and corn to the liquid ingredients and then pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix lightly until all are slightly moist, the batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full and bake about 30 minutes.
- Tops will spring back when touched.
I think these muffins have a lot of potential, but I could barely taste the corn or the apples. If I made it again, I would increase those ingredients and decrease the amount of flour so that they would be lighter and the added tastes would be more evident. I guess I was looking more for muffins than cornbread. Other than not being what I expected, they were good.
I liked these muffins.
I really liked the taste and texture of these muffins! They were very fruity and sour from the apple and the corn added a lovely sweetness! A wonderfully moist and yummy muffin! :) I made only half the recipe, but used 1 small apple and ended up with 10 small muffins. I will surely make them again as they make for a delicious morning snack or treat, but then Ill add some cinnamon or vanilla to them to see if they become even more yummy that way. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Charlotte J! Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game August 09.