Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 apple, peeled,and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin generously with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, blend well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg whites and margarine.
- Add the apple and corn to the liquid ingredients and then pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix lightly until all are slightly moist, the batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full and bake about 30 minutes.
- Tops will spring back when touched.
I don't know if it is my "baking ability" or what, but these just did not turn out for me at all. The dough was almost rock hard and they came out as tough biscuits. I added 3 Tbs butter (recipe did not say how much) and they cooked in less than 20 minutes. Sorry Dancer^ but this is one that just did not make it for me. Hope others try it and have more success.