Posted in response to a request. I haven't tried this, but love the idea of using that which would normally be tossed to make something delightful. Cook time is approximate and does not include water bath time.
- Cook peelings and cores in 6 cups water for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain through prepared cheesecloth or jelly bag.
- Add water as needed, to strained juice, to obtain 7 cups liquid.
- Add pectin (whisk works well) and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add sugar, boil hard for 1 minute.
- Note: If desired, food coloring can be added to juice for color.
- Pour into sterile jars, leaving 1/8" headspace; wipe jar rims, adjust lids and rings; water bath 5 minutes.