Recipe by FloridaNative
From EatingWell: January/February 2008: Sturdy apples are flavored with cinnamon and vanilla in this slow cooker apple compote. Top with low-fat vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of toasted walnuts for dessert.
- 3 lbs firm apples (cooking or baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Rome or Golden Delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. (You should have about 9 cups.)
- Place the apples in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to taste, and toss to coat well.
- Cover and cook until the apples are very tender and almost translucent, but not pureed, 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve with low-fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt if desired.