Recipe by Irmgard
This apple coffee cake can be compared to a big apple muffin cut into wedges. From the Robin Hood 1992 Baking Festival booklet.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup apple, peeled, grated and lightly packed
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the topping, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Set aside.
- To make the cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs, sour cream and melted shortening together in a small bowl.
- Stir into the dry ingredients, mixing just until blended.
- Stir in the apples.
- Spread evenly in a greased 9" springform pan.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Serve either warm or cool.