Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 4 medium-size cooking apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour three 1-pound coffee cans.
- Tie a double band of aluminum foil around the cans to extend 2 inches above the edges of the cans.
- Grease the foil.
- Peel, core, and finely dice the apples.
- Place in a large bowl and mix with the sugar and pecans.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Mix well.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the vanilla.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Stir the eggs and butter into the apple mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the cans and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the cans for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
I wanted to bake some different shaped goodies for this holiday. I gave this a try cutting the rec in half, used 2 1-lb coffee cans. This filled the coffee cans to within 1" from top, did I make the sleeve, of course not!!! Chunks of apple, nuts, etc bubbled over the side of the cans. Next time I will fill 3 coffee cans 1/2 full and see what happens. I also added some raisins. The bread was excellent, my family loves Merryfield applecake and for ease of making, and the great taste, I will be making this bread from now on.