Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious hot or cold!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups peeled and chopped apples (I use about 3-4 Golden Delicious)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Beat the softened butter at medium speed of electric mixer. Gradually add sugar; beat well.
- Add the eggs - one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg and salt and add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in the chopped apple with the golden sultanas and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar over cake and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When cake is done allow to cool whilst preparing caramel topping. Combine all topping ingredients together and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly drizzle over warm cake.