Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another old hand-written recipe rescued from my mother-in-law's files. Serving size and prep time are approximate.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 peeled apples, cored
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 nutmeg
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until the size of peas.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Combine all with flour mixture.
- Press into bottom and 1 inch up sides of an 8 or 9-inch round pan.
- Cut cored apples into 12 wedges.
- Place on dough and sprinkle with raisins.
- For Topping cut in 2 tablespoons butter into rest of ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This has more of a crust than a cake. It was kind of dry but the kids liked it just fine.