Recipe by Diane E.
This a wonderfully moist coffee cake recipe that my aunt gave me 20 years ago. I've used it ever since. It's especially nice for autumn when fresh apples are in abundance.
- 6 apples, pared & sliced (3 cups)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples, 5 Tablespoons sugar and 5 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
- Sift the 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter into a greased 9" tube or bundt pan.
- Make a ring of 1/2 the apples on top of the batter.Be sure to drain any excess moisture. DO NOT HAVE APPLE MIXTURE TOUCHING THE SIDES OF THE PAN.
- Spoon 1/3 batter on top and make a ring of the remaining apples.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven. Cover top with foil if it begins to over-brown.