Recipe by Elly in Canada
I have been making this recipe for years and have received many requests for the recipe. Source: Five Roses Flour Cookbook - which is one of my favourite recipe books. Prepare the topping first.
Top Review by hakthear
I have been making this recipe for several years now, and it is a wonderful breakfast, snack or dessert. I usually make this when apples are in season because the sugar amount can be reduced by half. This is a delicious alternative to apple pie. I have make this will Fuji and Golden Delicious apples. Over the years, I have tweaked it to make it healthier. 1) Substitute vegetable oil for the butter, 2) increase the amount of apples, 3) used nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream, 4) substituted the 1/3 of the flour amount to whole wheat, and 5) cut the sugar by half. I have also added 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter. Whether you follow the recipe or make slight variations, this will come out great.
- 3 medium apples, sliced thin (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter (or shortening)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- It is not necessary to peel the apples, but I do.
- Combine the sliced apples,lemon juice,sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients - flour,baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter, add sugar gradually, beat well.
- Beat eggs into creamed mixture.
- Measure sour cream into a separate bowl, add baking soda, stir together; the cream will rise up and become fluffy.
- Add sour cream to the batter alternately with the dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 9" square cake pan, top with half the apple mixture.
- Add remaining batter and arrange rest of the apples on top.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Especially nice served warm. Enjoy!