I have been making this recipe for years and have received many requests for the recipe. Source: Five Roses Flour Cookbook - which is one of my favourite recipe books. Prepare the topping first.
- 3 medium apples, sliced thin (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter (or shortening)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- It is not necessary to peel the apples, but I do.
- Combine the sliced apples,lemon juice,sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients - flour,baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter, add sugar gradually, beat well.
- Beat eggs into creamed mixture.
- Measure sour cream into a separate bowl, add baking soda, stir together; the cream will rise up and become fluffy.
- Add sour cream to the batter alternately with the dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 9" square cake pan, top with half the apple mixture.
- Add remaining batter and arrange rest of the apples on top.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Especially nice served warm. Enjoy!