Recipe by FlemishMinx
This is an apple pie different from the ordinary . . . please notice, no cinnamon! I've never made a pastry as easily as this; it rolls out like a dream and bakes up puffy, golden and tender. Yummy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Preparation time does not include chilling time for the pastry.
Top Review by dmatthieu
Excellent pastry however the pie still needed that cinnamon flavour, so I just added cinnamon mixed with a little sugar and sprinkled it on top of the warm crust. That satisfied my palate!The coconut was a satisfying addition! Easy enough to make as well!
Cream Cheese Pastry
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
For the pie
- 3 1⁄2 cups tart apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced (about 6)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 ounces flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a mixer, combine the butter and the cream cheese well.
- Using your hands, mix in the flour and the salt till completely combined.
- Shape into a ball and chill for 15 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Divide the dough ball in two and roll each half out (on a lightly-floured surface) into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Line a 10 inch deep-dish pie pan with one circle.
- Arrange the apples in this unbaked pie shell; you will want to do this as neatly as possible in order to get them all inches.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt; sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Next, cover the apples evenly with the coconut.
- Sprinkle the vanilla over the top, and dot with the butter.
- Place the remaining circle of pastry over the filling; seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 300° and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden and the juices are bubbling.