Recipe by jorgydee
In the fall I have alot of apples from my two apple trees. I am always on the look out for different recipes and I was looking for a recipe for apples other than a apple pie or crisp. Happened to find this one. I didn't know if the coconut and the apples would work but they sure do. Give it a taste.
Top Review by mommyoffour
My family liked this very much. It is a really simple and quick dish to assemble. The coconut with teh apples were delicious. The only thing i will do different the next time is a little less lemon juice poured on the top. But i will make this again and again. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 1 (18 ounce) packagefrench white cake mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and coconut.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. (will be very dry).
- Place apple slices in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Sprinkle cake mixture over apples.
- Combine water and lemon juice.
- Pour evenly and slowly over crumble, moistening as much as possible.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until top is light golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Keep apple slices quite chunky to ensure that they do not become mushy in baking.
- OPT. - add 1 cup of fresh or frozen cranberries to the apples (I omit this).