Recipe by YummySmellsca
When I was doing the baking for the Autism gala back in October, I also wanted to give something to the coordinator of the event who has asked me each year to donate! I adapted this apple and coconut cake from glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/09/coconut-flour-apple-cake.html to use up the GFCF starches and flours I had and the outcome was decadent!
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced medium-thick
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the bottom of a 10” spring form pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and hot water. Set aside.
- Whisk together flours, starch, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together flax mixture, brown sugar, oil, coconut milk and vanilla until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the chopped apples and coconut.
- Spread in the prepared pan and lightly press sliced apple pieces in a decorative pattern on top.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with raw sugar.
- Bake 55 - 60 minutes. Do not open the oven door before 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan twenty minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and remove the ring. Cool completely before slicing (although this is delicious gently reheated).