1/2 Photos of Apple Cobbler With Oatmeal
My grandmother's recipe that always has guests begging for thirds! It is easy to make and especially decadent if served with vanilla ice cream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For best results with this recipe, use apples that hold their shape when baking and aren't too tart.
- 2Do not use Macintosh apples (too soft) or Red Delicious (too bland).
- 3I prefer Cortlands or Empires.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 degrees- if you have a convection oven, do NOT use the convection feature- the dessert will be dry and overcooked on top.
- 5Use the regular baking feature.
- 6This recipe isn't good for microwave use.
- 7Peel and core the apples, then cut them into eighths or into large cubes.
- 8Distribute the apples evenly into a medium-sized ungreased baking dish (I like the white Corning/Pyrex oval dishes) and sprinkle the white sugar and cinnamon over top.
- 9Distribute 1 tbsp of the margarine in dollops throughout the top of the apples (no need to try to stir it in).
- 10In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining margarine, the oats, brown sugar and flour using your hands or a pastry whisk until it forms a crumbly, dry-ish mixture.
- 11(Note: if you like lots of crumble topping, feel free to double the ingredient quantities for the toppping).
- 12Pour the mixture over top of the apples and spread it out evenly so that all the apples are covered and the edges and corners hidden.
- 13Pat the mixture down lightly so that it looks sort of like a crust.
- 14Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the crumb top has darkened to a golden brown colour.
- 15Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 16Spoon out portions into large bowls and serve with ice cream, thick sweetened yoghurt or milk.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cobbler With Oatmeal
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 188.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 62.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g