Recipe by Candace Michelle 2
From The Cupcake Project. I'm on the hunt for a huge cupcake collection! The frosting is actually pumpkin pie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups apples, roughly chopped and loosely packed
For the frosting
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cupcakes:.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger.
- Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream, and lemon extract until blended.
- Mix in flour mixture.
- Fold in apples.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners (they will be filled almost all the way to the top).
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
- For the frosting:.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir in sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix in pumpkin.
- Mix in evaporated milk.
- Pour into 9" pie plate (no crust needed).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for another 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and leave on counter for two hours before use.
- Once it is cooled, beat it in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer. Put into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.