Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sometimes fancy desserts are just too much. This is great any time. Source: Saveur
Make and share this Apple Cobbler recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 12 cortland apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (or another sweet tart cooking apples)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 8 scoops vanilla ice cream
- For the apples: Preheat oven to 325º. Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, honey, cider, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add apples and toss well. Put apple mixture into a large baking dish in an even layer, scatter with butter, and bake, gently stirring once or twice, until apples begin to soften and release their juices, about 30 minutes. Set apples aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- For the topping: Sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together into a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or 2 table knives, work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal flecked with pea-size pieces of butter. Stir in oats. Add cream, stirring until just combined.
- Increase oven temperature to 375º. Scatter topping over apples in a broad band around inside edge of dish, leaving apples in center of dish exposed. Bake until topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream.