Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sure to please your family! Smells great baking. Elegant to serve. Wonderful to taste! I serve this on fall holidays and it's a hit! Change the fruits and it still the best! (Weights at the end of directions). Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream!
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 1 (15 ounce) canfried apples (or jar)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 white bread, slices
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- Stir together pie filling, fried apples, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Remove and discard crusts from bread (I freeze them for a later use).
- Cut each slice into 5 strips.
- Using 5 strips at a time, laying them side by side in a single layer, cover entire top of apples in a checker board pattern.
- Stir together remaining 2 tablespoons flour, sugar, butter, egg, and rind.
- Drizzle over top of bread slices.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- •For other fruit:.
- Substitute 2 20 oz. cans cherry pie filling for apple pie filling and
- 1 15 oz. can dark sweet cherries, drained, for the fried apples.