Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This hearty, delicious recipe is excellent right out of the pot, but I also make this ahead and re-heat it during the week for a quick and filling breakfast.
- 2 tablespoons butter (preferably unsalted)
- 1 large apple, diced (Granny Smith works great)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups water (*)
- 2 cups organic rolled oats (*)
- cinnamon, to taste
- *Note:Oatmeal ingredients and cooking instructions based off my favorite brand of rolled oats and may vary from your own; I recommend following your own brand's directions to make 4 servings.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in skillet.
- Add apples and walnuts and sauté for a couple of minutes, then add pumpkin pie seasoning and cinnamon.
- Continue to sauté for another minute, stirring continuously.
- Once apples have softened a bit, add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Continue to sauté for a few more minutes, until apples are"al dente".
- Remove from heat.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil, add oats.
- Cook for 10-20 minutes over medium heat, depending on your desired thickness.
- When oatmeal is about 80% of your desired thickness, add apple mixture and mix in well.
- Add cinnamon and sugar to taste.
- Remove from heat and let stand until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve with a little bit of your favorite milk.
This is wonderful! I did not have any pumpkin pie spice available so I used Recipe #107059. I used old fashioned oats for the oatmeal and otherwise made as directed, serving with additional milk. Thank you for posting, bastet!
This is really delicious. I made a half recipe for my daughter and myself and I know I'm on to something good when she finishes her food. I used one apple for two servings and reduced the amount of pumpkin pie spice a bit as I always sprinkle my cereal with cinnamon anyway. We'll likely have this for breakfast again tomorrow!