1 hr 15 mins
Recipe courtesy of EverydayFoodMag.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 8 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle bottom with brown sugar. In a medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; arrange in prepared pan in two concentric circles (you might not use all of them).
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- 3With an electric mixer, beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture in three parts and the milk in two, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 4Spoon batter over apples in pan; smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack, at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours (if cake has risen above rim of pan, simply push back inside rim).
- 5To serve, run a knife around edge of pan, and invert cake onto a rimmed platter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Cinnamon Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.0
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 245.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g