Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe courtesy of EverydayFoodMag.com
Make and share this Apple-Cinnamon Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 8 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle bottom with brown sugar. In a medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; arrange in prepared pan in two concentric circles (you might not use all of them).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture in three parts and the milk in two, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples in pan; smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack, at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours (if cake has risen above rim of pan, simply push back inside rim).
- To serve, run a knife around edge of pan, and invert cake onto a rimmed platter.