Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious snack that's big on flavor and low on fat! This isn't a super sweet bread, but the powdered sugar glaze helps to give it just enough extra sweetness.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk (or use just under 2 cups of milk and a couple teaspoons of lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large apple, chopped
Cinnamon Swirl mixture
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Blend together until well combined. Add chopped apple, and mix until apple is evenly distributed and covered with flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, banana, vanilla, and oil. Mix well, and slowly incorporate into dry ingredients. Gently fold together just until combined.
- In a small bowl, (like how I'm downsizing each time? ;) haha) combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a greased loaf pan (9x3x5), pour 1/4 of the batter, repeat with a second loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon swirl mixture over batter; repeat. Cover both pans with remaining batter and swirl a butter knife through to make the marbled appearance.
- Bake for an hour to an hour and 5 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out nearly clean. (A little gooey is okay, but if loaves start getting too dark before they're fully baked, cover with aluminum foil).
- For the glaze, mix together milk and powdered sugar and drizzle over cooled bread.
I made the recipe for only 1 loaf. I reduced the sugar by half. I used the optional vanilla. I made a small batch of the glaze and we prefer it without the glaze. That's a great recipe. Very yummy. Thanks Jilian :) Made for I Recommend tag game
Super great! We really enjoyed this one, even if I did share some of it with a neighbor couple! With a keeper recipe like this one, I'll be making it again before long, for sure! loved the cinnamon & even added a small amount to the glaze! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]