Prep 20 mins
Cook 17 mins
I was looking for some simple muffins to make for a church bake sale when I came across the "base recipe" for these muffins on the Dunkin Hines website. I added a few ingredients and came up with this delicious number that combines my bounty of apples, cinnamon and sugar to create a moist muffin that goes great with your morning cup of java! Cooking time is per each dozen tray of muffins. (Also, the picture is missing the cinnamon/sugar coating. I decided to add that later)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix (make sure it has pudding in the mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (type doesn't matter)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (after muffins have cooled)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease muffin cups generously or line with paper liners.
- Mix yellow cake mix, baking powder, flour, milk, canola oil, eggs and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix until combined well, scraping the sides of bowl as you go.
- Fold in apples and stir until covered.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan. Fill cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Mix sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Dip muffin top in melted butter and then into cinnamon/sugar mixture until lightly coated.
- Shake off excess and serve.
tried these for breakfast.. delicious.. after I add some walnuts to them they will be excellent!. We don't do sugar, and you can't find a yellow cake mix with pudding mix that is sugar free, (at least, not around here) so, I bought a yellow sugar free cake mix AND a sugarfree vanilla pudding mix and mixed them both in the recipe. I also used splenda mixed with the cinnamon on top. It takes quite a bit more, but it did work.. I didn't have the apples, but I did have a can of 'fried' apples which I drained and chopped up. worked fine! I wonder if using the apple juice from the can in place of the milk would work,, and give it more flavor? Great recipe! Thanks! Hope you don't mind me playing with your recipe... I love experimenting!
very good! I mixed up a little whipped cream cheese & sugar & put dollops in the middle ....turned out great! thanks for the recipe!
This sounds amazing and I can't wait to make it. However, when I went shopping for cake mix, I could only find the 15 1/4 oz package. Do you have a brand that makes the 19 1/4 oz box?