Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Do you like oatmeal, but are tired of the traditional boring bowl? Well here is a little twist on an old favorite! With the addition of apples, chia seeds and flaxseed meal, This breakfast is both very tasty and is high in omega 3 and fiber!
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups steel cut oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, cored and cut in relatively small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or 1 tablespoon dark agave nectar
- Bring the water to boil adding a dash of salt. Add at the same time to the water (while it's warming), the vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom & steel cut oats. Allow oats to cook for about 10-15 min at medium heat until soft and stirring intermittently. Add chopped apples and let simmer 5 more minutes. Add in sweetener to taste(sucranat sugar or agave) and Chia seeds and mix well. To thin out you may add Almond milk to desired texture. Sprinkle a little flaxseed meal on top.
Do love those steel cut oats, & your recipe really jazzed 'em up, for sure! I used a flavorful Ambrosia apple & followed your recipe right on down (well, except that I cut it in half for the 2 of us)! A keeper of a recipe, absolutely! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]