Recipe by Judith N.
Yummy cake-like texture to these squares sort of makes you think of coffee cake. Recipe souce, The Apple Cookbook".
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup presifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large apple (Rome Beauty)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour 8"x8" baking dish.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 2 1/2 quart saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time Add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour.
- Sift in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1 1/2 Tsps.
- Stir together.
- Peel, core, and dice the apple.
- Add to the batter with the raisins and stir to combine.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Mix together the remaining 2 Tbls.
- cinnamon and the 1/2 cup sugar.
- Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbls.
- butter and drizzle over sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- When cool, slice into squares.