I have made these quite a few times they are a huge hit with my family, they are similar to a muffin but baked in a pan! this will work great using peaches or blueberries in place of apples.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.25 ml fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 59.14 ml melted butter
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 2 small apples, chopped
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- 29.58 ml white sugar
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together melted butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth and well combined.
- Blend in the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Gently stir in chopped apples and nuts.
- Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- For the topping; in a small bowl mix togther 2 tablespoons white and 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the top of the bars.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it tests done.
- Cool in the pan then cut into squares.
I made these last weekend and they were a real hit. Going to make them again for super bowl. Thanks for sharing.
I reduced the amount of sugar in the squares. For the topping, I used only 2 tbs of white sugar. It was enough sweet. Thanks Kit :) Made for Newest zaar tag.