I have made these quite a few times they are a huge hit with my family, they are similar to a muffin but baked in a pan! this will work great using peaches or blueberries in place of apples.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 small apples, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together melted butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth and well combined.
- Blend in the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Gently stir in chopped apples and nuts.
- Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- For the topping; in a small bowl mix togther 2 tablespoons white and 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the top of the bars.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it tests done.
- Cool in the pan then cut into squares.