1/1 Photo of Apple Cinnamon Rolls
1 hr 25 mins
This came from the Yankton, South Dakota Press and Dakotan newspaper. My DD does not like cinnamon rolls (my child?) so I thought this might be more like a caramel apple and less like cinnamon. It is very caramel-like and the apples are soft and fragrant. Worth the time to make the filling. If you have a kitchen aid mixer, follow your manufacturer directions to make the dough with the mixer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Apple Filling
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 -5 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages quick-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 3 large eggs
For Cinnamon-Sugar topping
- 1To prepare apple filling:.
- 2In medium saucepan, combine apples, flour sugar and butter.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- 4Cook 3 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to medium low and cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly until thick.
- 6Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 7Cool completely.
- 8While filling cools, prepare dough.
- 9In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt.
- 10Heat 1/2 cup water with milk and butter until very warm (120-130°F).
- 11Gradually add to dry ingredients.
- 12Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 13Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 14Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 15Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes.
- 16Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- 17Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- 18Roll each part into a 12x8 inch rectangle.
- 19Spread cooled apple filling evenly over dough.
- 20Beginning at long end of each rectangle, roll up dough as tightly as you would for a jelly roll.
- 21Pinch seams to seal.
- 22Cut each roll into 12 equal pieces.
- 23Place, cut sides up, in two greased 9 inch round pans.
- 24Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- 25While dough is rising, prepare cinnamon-sugar topping.
- 26Stir together sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
- 27After dough has doubled in size, sprinkle rolls with cinnamon-sugar topping.
- 28Bake in 375°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until done,.
- 29Remove from pan, serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.4
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 143.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g