Recipe by Annacia
This is a delish fruit-and-spice coffee cake. I could eat half of it with a pot of Earl Gray tea.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
Another adventure in cooking here. I decided to prepare this for a colleagues birthday and wanted to make it more suitable for diabetics. (A pursuit I share with the posting chef, so I figured she would be amenable to the adaptations.) To do so, I replaced 2/3 c. of the all purpose flour with whole wheat; replaced the 1 cup sugar with 1/4 c. brown sugar Splenda, 1/4 c. baking Splenda and 1/4 c. white sugar; used fat free evaporated milk; and replaced 3 tablespoons of butter with unsweetened apple sauce; and 2 egg whites for 1 of the eggs. A lot of changes but the same sort the posting chef would have incorporated. I had enough batter to make one nine inch round cake and 3 large individual mini cakes. I arranged apple slices on the bottom of the nine inch cake which I would not do again. Looked pretty when you flipped the cake but added too much moisture which inhibited the rise of the cake. Despite that results were spectacular and the cake was a hit. The cake was moist and spicy with chunks of soft apple bites and crunchy nuts. A keeper for sure.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat evaporated milk
- 3 cups peeled cored and finely chopped baking apples (about 3 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Beat granulated sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until smooth. Alternately beat in flour mixture and evaporated milk.
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.