Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
A healthy (and very tasty) recipe from the Canadian Milk Calendar! I use skim milk, granny smith apples & buckwheat flour. If you're adventurous, include the optional spices!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (or buckwheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (skim is OK)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or margarine)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded apples (about 2 large)
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk remaining ingredients, in order given, in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir gently just until combined - a few lumps should remain.
- Melt a thin layer of butter in a large nonstick skillet; scoop about 1/3 cup batter per pancake into skillet.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles break in batter but don't fill in; turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until the pancakes are golden & puffed.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter as required and adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
- Serve the classic way with butter & maple syrup or yogurt sweetened with maple syrup.