Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988. Top with my recipe for Fruit Topping, below, if you want. It makes about 2 cups.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups unsweetened strawberries (or any other fruit of choice, fresh or frozen) or 2 cups raspberries (or any other fruit of choice, fresh or frozen) or 2 cups peaches (or any other fruit of choice, fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- For Pancakes, mix together flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Combine the beaten egg whites, milk, margarine and applesauce and stir into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Pour batter from pitcher or large spoon onto hot (350 degree) griddle.
- When pancakes are puffed and full of bubbles, turn and brown other side.
- For the Fruit Topping, in a blender or food processor, process 1 cup of fruit and the apple juice concentrate until smooth.
- Cut remaining cup of fruit into small pieces.
- Pour the sauce over the cut fruit.
- Spoon over pancakes (or waffles).
Very delicious! Used whole wheat pastry flour for the white flour, 1/4 cup Splenda, more applesauce for the margarine & 2 tsp cinn. Very moist & delicious. Loved the applesauce flavor & texture; thanks so much!