Recipe by Jen Robinson
I don't recall where I got this recipe and how much I've done to it to change it for my own liking. However, I eat this almost every morning. I haven't grown tired of it and it is so good. For those who aren't fans of "traditionally" prepared oatmeal, this is quick, easy and best of all NOT GOOEY! I can't stand gooey salty oatmeal. I use individual packs of apple sauce. Mostly because after opening regular apple sauce, you have to refrigerate it. Since the apple sauce in this recipe is added after it's cooked, it can make the oatmeal slightly cold if it's from the jar in the fridge. I have tried adding the apple sauce and cooking it with the oatmeal and milk, it didn't turn out that great. Make sure to use unsweetened apple sauce to keep within point range. I am not sure how much the regular apple sauce will raise the points. This tastes great with or without added sweetener. I use unsweetened because I can control the sugar/sweetness that way. Enjoy!! WW Points - 4.5
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce (I use the individual packs, exact measurement)
- 1⁄2 ounce raisins (one minibox)
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute (2 tsp of sugar will raise points by .5)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oatmeal and milk in microwave safe bowl. Give it a quick stir to make sure oats are covered. Make sure the bowl is wide or deep enough so the oatmeal does not overflow (I've had this happen). Put it into the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from microwave. Add apple sauce, raisins, cinnamon and splenda (optional). Mix it all together. The oatmeal may be stiff until the apple sauce is incorporated.