Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful, warm, soothing way to wake up in the morning. So full of flavor, you'll be wanting more. When making this, I never measured the amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, or sugars I used so add more or use less to taste...it's up to you.
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 14.79 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml milk
- 236.59 ml water
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml Quaker Oats (Old Fashioned preferred)
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 29.58 ml white sugar
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced apple and cook until apple is slightly soft (about 3 minutes.).
- Add milk, water, and salt to saucepan and bring it up to a boil.
- When the milk and water comes up to a boil, add Oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugars. Stir to fully incorporate. Add more flavors to taste.
- Cook at least 5 minutes, or desired consistency. Makes two servings.
Just what I was craving! I love that this recipe calls for cooking the oats in milk and water. I never thought to try that before. I usually just go with one or the other. I used half the amount of butter and half the amount of sugar called for and added a few raisins. It turned out perfect for us. Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe!
This was a very good oatmeal ~ all 5 of my lil' kiddos ate it up!! I tripled the recipe and thought it looked like a LOT of spice, so I may cut that down a bit next time. Although I like another comment that said she might cook her apples with the spices next time - good idea! I also cooked mine a bit longer than 5 minutes, just to get a preferred consistency.
All in all, a very good recipe, which is easily adjusted for your own family's tastes!
Ooooh this was good oatmeal! Sweet and spicy and delicious! I made as directed but next time I think I'll add some of the spices and sugar to the apples while they are cooking so that they take in some of that great flavor. Thanks for sharing this recipe!