Recipe by Sarah Chana
Just found this online on a site called LivingOnADime.com. I thought it would make a good gift and/or a good make-ahead mix, so that I could just whip up some muffins in the morning before I am fully awake. Haven't tasted them yet. Let me know what you think.
Top Review by Rubies
These were okay, nothing spectacular. I thought it interesting that the recipe did not call for any sugar in the mix or eggs when making, but wanted to give it a try since the recipe is specifically "Apple Cinnamon Muffins." They really need the addition of sugar to the mix. They were a bit chewy and dry when made per the recipe. I'll stick to a plain muffin recipe and just add the apple juice/sauce/or apples to that. I am sure this recipe makes a pretty gift, though.
For the mix
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a separate bag
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
The wet stuff
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- melted margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients. Place in an air tight container.
- Package raisins and nuts in a separate bag.
- Mix topping ingredients in a bowl. Package in a small plastic bag.
- Wrap nicely for a gift, and attach the following note:.
- To prepare, preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix, raisins and/or nuts, 1 cup apple juice, 2 Tbl oil, 1/2 cup applesauce. Stir until just combined. Spoon into lightly greased muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. While still warm, dip in melted margarine and then topping.