Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 7 hrs
Cook 10 mins
You can do this as a blender pancake, or instead of the grains, use 1 cup of flour and mix as usual. I combined a couple of recipes, starting off with the base Blender Waffle recipe (from Sue Gregg) I already have posted. My 5 yo hates pancakes lately, but when he tried these (with caramel syrup, of course) he ate 4 of them! If you need a recipe for making homemade kefir see Homemade Kefir. It's so easy to make, right on your counter! You just need to get the kefir grains from someone.
- 1 cup homemade kefir or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rolled oats or 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheatberries or 1⁄2 cup brown rice or 1⁄2 cup buckwheat groats, kernels or 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small apple, chopped
- Place kefir, olive oil, vanilla, oats, and grain in blender and blend for 3 minutes on high. Make sure it is making a vortex. Add more liquid if needed.
- Cover and soak on the counter for at least 7 hours, to help the nutrients to be released. You may skip this step, if needed.
- Just before baking, add egg, melted butter and honey and blend until smooth.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and apple and blend briefly.
- Bake on a hot griddle, lightly sprayed with non-stick spray as needed.
- Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, or caramel sauce (esp. yummy!)
- Makes 12 four-inch pancakes.