Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
When it comes to breakfast breads, this fine-textured whole wheat loaf made with granola and applesauce is heard to beat. For a special wake-up treat, spread it with fruit-flavored soft-style cream cheese. Makes 1 1/2 pound loaf. Recipe comes from Fleischmann's yeast.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup granola cereal
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add all ingredients to bread machine pan in the order sussested by Manufacturer, adding applesauce with water, and granola with flours.
- (if dough is too dry or stiff or too soft or slack, adjust dough consistency, by adding 3 to 4 teaspoons water or flour).
- Recommened cycle, whole wheat, light or medium color setting.
How could I possibly go wrong with all these scrumptious ingredients? This bread is delightfully flavorful with great texture. The only change I may add next time is a bit more brown sugar (to personal taste) and perphaps some bits of chopped apple. Great recipe, Barb! I'll be making this again!
Great bread! Very moist, even on the second day after baking. Nice that you can put it on a timer for overnight baking, too - the kitchen smells so good when you wake up! When I made it I didn't have applesauce on hand, so I substituted 1/2 cup apple butter and cut the brown sugar to one tablespoon. Turned out great. Thanks, Barb!
This bread was good but it needs something. I toasted it with cinnamon sugar and a little butter spray and it was good. It also would be good on a pb & j. However, just to grab a slice and eat it, it tasted just like whole wheat bread. Not much other flavor.