Recipe by Lacy S.
I adapted my own version of this from 3 or four other recipes. I wanted a low fat, low cal granola so this is what I came up with. This version isn't real sweet but it has an excellent flavor. I wanted my granola pretty crunchy so I left it in the oven for almost 90 minutes. The only thing is, you have to keep a close eye on it or it could burn. For the first 60 minutes I stirred it every 10-15 minutes. For the last 30 minutes I stirred it about every 5.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
Thanks for posting this recipe. I was looking for something with applesauce in it because I've been making applesauce this early fall...This smells delicious when baking and tastes great!
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 4 ounces pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces dried cranberries
- 4 ounces dried blueberries
- 5 ounces dried cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine oats, cinnamon, and pecan pieces.
- In a seperate bowl combine honey, egg whites, and applesauce.
- Pour honey mixture over oats and stir to combine.
- Place granola on baking sheet and place in oven for 60-90 minutes. Stir every 10-15 minutes.
- Remove granola from oven when it is crunchy.
- Cool and stir in dried fruit.
- Store in ziploc bags or seal with a food sealer.