Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a good, easy, make-ahead salad. You can find cinnamon red-hots in the cake-mix aisle of the supermarket; their flavor is not overpowering in this salad. I like to serve this at holiday time. I got this recipe from my "cousin-in-law." Cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon red-hot candies
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O
- 1 cup chopped apple, cored but not peeled
- lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Dissolve the cinnamon red-hots in 1/2 cup of the boiling water. Dissolve the cherry jello in remaining 1 cup boiling water. Add the dissolved cinnamon water and refrigerate until the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Fold in the chopped apples which you have tossed with a little lemon juice, celery and pecans. Pour into mold and refrigerate until set.
- NOTE: Sometimes I use only 1 cup total boiling water for dissolving the red-hots and jello. I then leave out the remaining ingredients and add a 16-ounce can of applesauce. Pour into a mold and refrigerate until set.