Recipe by teen
My seven year old son is in love with this recipe! It originally came from my great grandmother and has been modified over the years. The aroma that fills the kitchen in the morning!!!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- French bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before serving - prepare apples and French toast: In large heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook; stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and cinnamon to apples. Cook, stirring, until brown sugar dissolves.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick spray and spread apple mixture into an even layer.
- Arrange bread slices in one layer on top of apple mixture.
- In medium-sized bowl with fork, beat eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until well mixed; pour over bread slices. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day - preheat oven to 375*. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is firm and bread is golden.
- Cool in pan five minutes. Invert serving tray over French toast and carefully turn both over to unmold so that apple layer is on top.