Recipe by jackandfiona
Unless fruit cake is not to your liking, I haven't served this dish yet and not had gushing compliments for it. It is a cross between a christmas cake/christmas pudding, but is served as a slice. I make mine in a 20cm ceramic fluted flan dish. If using a metal flan dish, be careful you don't burn the bottom. Served warm with whipped cream - mouthalicious!!!!
- 2 large firm juicy apples
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dates or 1 cup raisins, are nice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 125 g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, for topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, extra for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop apples (I find that quartered and cut across the length is better than long slices).
- Pour over sugar and leave to stand while completing rest of recipe.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add dried fruit and mix in well.
- Add egg and melted butter.
- Add apple and sugar mixture.
- Stir all very thoroughly, until apple is distributed evenly through the mixture.
- Do not be tempted to add extra fluids.
- If mixture is worked together well, it should be moist enough.
- Spread evenly into a greased 20 cm flan dish.
- Sprinkle extra cinnamon and brown sugar over top.
- Topping can be left off, and flan dusted with icing sugar just before serving.
- Bake at 180 deg Celcius for 50 minutes.