Recipe by blucoat
This is a moist, easy, healthy and delicious coffee cake with a streusel topping. I modified the original recipe a little but included the original amounts in brackets so you can make my adapted version or the original. The magazine recommends serving it warm (you can rewarm slices for a few seconds in the microwave). Recipe can easily be doubled. MAKE AHEAD: Cool completely, wrap (still in the pan) in foil, and leave out at room temperature for up to one day, or freeze for up to three months. To reheat thawed cake, unwrap and bake at 250 F for 15-20 minutes. The recipe is from Robin Miller in "Cooking Light" (Nov. 2007).
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (not in original)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups diced peeled granny smith apples (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in apple. Pour batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel, combine brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving. Serve warm.