Recipe by Debi
Inspired by Victoria Magazine, this tasty & moist recipe is adapted from a cafe in England called Lucy's of Ambleside. Easy to make and company pretty
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs
- 4 apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- vanilla icing
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Spray two nine inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat together butter and icing sugar at med-high speed until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture, and mix at low speed until combined and smooth.
- Beat eggs and put into medium bowl. Add grated apple: fold in butter mixture.
- Divide batter between prepared cake pans and bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes. Transfer cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Vanilla Icing:.
- Mix together butter, icing sugar and vanilla at medium speed. If using cream cheese, add at this time as well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add cream, 1 Tbsp at a time until a creamy, spreadable consistency is reached.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer on a pretty cake plate and spread half of the Vanilla icing over top; top with second cak elayer and spread remaining icing over top. Garnish with chopped walnuts and dried cranberries.