Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 10 mins
Apple-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
Make and share this Apple-Cinnamon Bread Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs golden delicious apples (3 cups) or 1 1⁄4 lbs gala apples (3 cups) or 1 1⁄4 lbs granny smith apples, cored, peeled, quartered, sliced (3 cups)
- cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cut in 1/2
- Place oven rack in middle position.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease 9 or 10" deep-dish pie plate. Have ready a roasting pan larger than the pie plate.
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices with 2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter; spread half of the apples to cover bottom.
- Cook 1 minute per side or until partially cooked.
- Remove to a large plate.
- Repeat with another 1 tablespoon butter and remaining apples.
- Add to plate.
- Meanwhile, put eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon-sugar in the bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter; whisk until ingredients are well blended.
- Spread bread cubes in pie plate.
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles on top.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over apples; sprinkle with reserved 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar.
- Set pie plate in roasting pan.
- Place pan on middle rack of oven; add very hot water to roasting pan to come half way up sides of pie plate.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove pie plate from water.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Yummy and easy. I will be making this often as my family loved it. Thanks, Nancy!
I was disappointed in this recipe. First of all, I found a pie dish to be much too small. I had to use a 2 qt. dish. Second, I think the apples and the bread needed to be mixed together and not layered. I think it would have come out better that way. I will do that next time. The overall flavor was pretty good. Not my favorite recipe.
I agree with susan529, cherries taste better than raisins. Tried it with plain white bread since I had no cinammon bread, came out good anyway. Thanks.