Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
What a great way to use old baguettes. Delicious and easy bread pudding. We love it warm with vanilla ice cream and if there are any leftovers, we have it for breakfast.
- Slice baguette and put into large bowl.
- Bring milk and cream to boil.
- In medium bowl mix eggs, egg yolks and sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour hot milk mixture over the egg mixture whisking well.
- Pour over sliced baguette and let it soaked for few minutes.
- Peel and coarsely shred apples or slice them thinly if you prefer.
- Butter a 10-inch baking dish. Put half bread mixture on the bottom add apples, raisins and cover with rest of the soaked bread.
- Pour remaining soaking milk over.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar if you like.
- Bake in oven at 375°F for about 1 hour until nice and golden brown.
I modified this recipe to cut down on fat and eliminate sugar. I used 2 cups of milk and 3 eggs instead of the heavy cream and egg yolks. I also replaced the sugar with a 1/2 cup of agave nectar and added more apples and some nutmeg. The result was good, but not overwhelming.