Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quite a mouthful, but so deliciously healthy! This simple, wholesome muffin uses flax seed meal in place of butter or oil and comes out fluffy and moist.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup honey, warmed to liquid state or 1 cup agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 small honey crisp apples, grated, NOT drained
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins or 1⁄2 cup any other dried fruit
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together flour, flax, oat bran, brown sugar (if using), baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in apples, bananas, raisins and nuts (if desired).
- Combine honey/agave (if using) milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes.
I made this with agave and dried blueberries. It came out great!
Simple, quick, healthy and delicious! What more could you ask for? My super picky son couldn't get enough.