Recipe by Chef mariajane
Make this yummy cooked oatmeal ahead and refrigerate for quick wholesome and fun start to the day. In the morning, heat in the microwave and invite everyone to sprinkle on their own favorite topping.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This is a very tasty and quick way to prepare oatmeal. The great thing about preparing it this way is that it leaves me more time to get other things done in the kitchen while my breakfast is baking in the oven. I really liked it. I wish I had more time to take a better photo though, but my husband was in a hurry to eat and get on with his day, so I had to just hurry up and snap a photo while the dish cooled off a bit on the counter. It's a versatile recipe too, with an endless list of toppings you can add. I drizzled maple syrup over my serving, and I thought it was great. Thanks for such a great recipe, Chef mariajane. Made for the 2013 My 3 Chefs event.
- 1 1⁄2 cups large flake oats (Robin Hood or Old Mill)
- 1 cup apple, grated
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (370 ml) cans Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular, 2% or fat-free)
- maple syrup
- sliced almonds
- mixed fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350°F Grease an 8-inch baking dish. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until milk is absorbed and oats are softened.
- TIPS: Make breakfast fun. Let everyone add their own toppings. Refrigerate any leftovers and just reheat.