Prep 6 mins
Cook 20 mins
Moist and cinnamon-y with a crumble top... Mark loves these better than the Banana Granola Muffins and these are my favorites so far. These are groovy with the Starbucks Lite Caramel Clone or as a snack.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup smart start cereal or 1 cup other flaked cereal
- 1 cup apple pie filling, i used splenda sweetened,chop up apples with a knife into small chunks
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or more)
- cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon, cut in margarine to the size of peas.
- Place apple pie filling, applesauce and cereal in a large bowl.
- Set aside for 5 minutes or so to soften your cereal.
- Add oil, vanilla and cinnamon chips.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray either 6 large or 12 small muffin pan cups with cooking spray.
- Place the flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the apple mixture.
- Add soy milk.
- Stir until just combined, you may need more soy milk.
- Divide muffin batter evenly between the oiled muffin cups.
- Sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffins on a cooling rack, cover with a clean tea towel for about 5 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around the muffins, remove very carefully as they are extremely delicate.
- Let cool and place in tupperware lined with a paper towel.
- Freeze, wrapped in plastic wrap after 1-2 days.
Yum! This is a great recipe for a kinda healthy muffin! I used Total cereal, I increased the sugar to 1/2 cup (because I like sweet muffins), and needed 2 extra tablespoons of soymilk. But otherwise I followed the recipe. I have to say the batter didn't look all that good with soggy cereal in it, but the final result was terrific! It filled 12 muffin cups almost full up. But the muffins didn't rise that much. Topping was great too. Will be making these again.