Oh this is sooo good. I really hope that you will enjoy this tasty dish as much as we all do. Quick, easy to make with delicious results...try it...see for yourselves.
- 2⁄3 cup wild rice
- 2 cups apple cider, fresh
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped or 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄8 cup currants
- 1⁄8 cup dried cranberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger
- 1 large shallot, french, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 apple, ida red, peeled, cored & chopped
- Wash rice three times, drain well.
- Combine rice, cider and water in pan. Bring rice mixture to boil, reduce heat to low and cover and simmer 45 - 60 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter on low, add pecans, raisins, currants, and cranberries, ginger and shallots, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Next add the salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh apple and wild rice. Cook on low for 2 minutes until heated, serve warm -- enjoy.
This was great! I changed it a bit by adding 1/3 a cup of brown rice medely, I used less butter, half of the apple, and 1/8 cup regular raisins instead of golden (didn't have any). This is super yummy and I love the shallots and spices with all the dried fruit. What a yummy winter treat! My only complaint is that there was too much liquid and I had to drain the rice a bit. Oh well!
Terrific rice. Did a scaled down version - having stocked up on wild rice the perfect time to make up a variety of pilafs and rice dishes. This one was absolutely wonderful and one I will be making for special occasions. Made as posted with great results. Great to be finding so many variations with such wonderful taste. Definitely a repeatable.
I can't believe the explosion of flavours in this rice. We just loved it! Even my 8 year old liked it. The cook-time was perfect for us, it turned out just right. Rich in flavour and texture, it was a real treat! Made for ZWT 4 :)