Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Apple cider vinegar marinade for chicken is an easy way to make chicken tender even if the bird is tough. My grandma also used on game,pork or beef to make it tender and moist.
- clean cold water
- 118.29 ml salt, may use less (to taste)
- 118.29 ml apple cider vinegar
- sugar or brown sugar or molasses or honey or Karo syrup or pancake syrup or artificial sweetener, your choice please add ice cubes if using for more than a few minutes out of the refrigerator
- Remove chicken from package (or if living in a country where chicken is really fresh, remove feathers, entrails (do not crush any bits) head, feet and wingtips and tail).
- In a large bowl or clean sink put the chicken or cut up pieces of meat then pour on cold water until covered then add 1/2 cup of table salt or use less and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Move the chicken around gently in this mixture for 10 to 15 minutes. Less time is ok if you see that the skin hangs loose on the meat.
- You can add sugar or brown sugar, molasses, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup or artificial sweetner to the soak, but that and the salt are a matter of taste.
- Rinse gently with more clean cold water.
- Now you are ready to cook stovetop, oven, crock pot, campfire or whatever.
- Even an old elderly bird will usually be tenderized.
- My grandma also used this on game to make it tender and moist.
- Remember to use a sink cleanser that contains bleach on the sink, because chicken is a funny meat. You need to be careful with utensils after they were touched by any raw meat.
- I mention the clean up, because when I was a new cook I did not know.
This was easy and quick. However, the chicken was very, very salty and very chewy. I made it for company and very disappointed.
What a great marinade! I had my DS mix up the marinade, then we put it in a plastic bag to marinate the chicken. I chose to use brown sugar for ours. I let it set in the fridge for about 4 hours, then on the grill they went. The chicken was excellent, and very moist and tender. We will use this marinade a lot. Thank you!